Monday, June 17, 2013

Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash with Sweet Turkey Sausage



Well I did it... I FINALLY got over my fears and apprehensions and made a spaghetti squash. SOOOOO glad I did. How easy, healthy, gluten free and awesome this is! When I grew up my mom always made acorn squash and I turned my nose up every time. So of course I figured that this "squash" would be the same. NOPE! Sweet, tasty and soooo great in the Italian dish I made. Hooray for squash!!

Recipe:
1 Spaghetti Squash
2 Tablespoon EV Olive Oil
1 pkg cherub tomatoes, halved
6 basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup chicken stock (I use low-sodium)
Pinch of chili pepper
Feta to garnish
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut your squash in half, remove seeds and drizzle with oil. Roast on a sheet pan for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cooled, you can "pull" apart the inner flesh of the squash with a fork creating the "spaghetti" like texture. (It was super fun and even the hubs was baffled by it) Set aside.
For the sauce, heat 1 tablespoon of oil with onion. Add tomatoes with garlic powder and cook until tender. Once the tomatoes are tender smush them with the back of your spatula, about 7 minutes. Deglaze the pan with chicken stock. To the mixture add spaghetti squash and any meats/protein that you would like. I chose Sweet Turkey Sausage. I had grilled these previously during my food prep session. Add fresh basil and continue to cook on low about 5 minutes to let the flavors merry. I always add a bit of chili pepper to add a bit of heat but it is not necessary. Serve with a garnish of Feta and enjoy!

You'll never miss the pasta with this one and a serving (with feta and sausage) comes in right around 300 calories and is packed with vitamins!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment