Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Easy Chicken & Rice Soup



One of the "debbie downers" of being gluten free is not being able to enjoy chicken and noodle soup from the can. I know its loaded with sodium and all sorts of other gunk but for some reason it just makes you feel so much better. Luckily, I grew up in a house where my mother was the queen of homemade chicken noodle soup. So I have the taste and craving for that as well. Instead of her homemade noodles I went for brown jasmine rice.

With the anniversary of her death right around the corner I dedicate this recipe and my journey to health to my mother. Even though she is no longer with us she is still a strong mentor in my life and I know she would be proud of everything I do... this one is for you mom :) 

Who knew through a chicken soup that I could feel your embrace.




Recipe:

1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1.5 containers low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup brown rice
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, sweat onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add in chicken and brown until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Once the mixture is simmering you may add in the rice and stir. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Enjoy!

Makes a good 6 servings with 154 calories per serving and 2 grams of fat :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment